Monday, November 06, 2006

And 3 More Makes 7

I'm just back from World Fantasy Convention in Austin where every one of my "first round" picks actually said some form of "Okay, I'll do it, but only if you don't publish the pictures." (The pictures they weren't talking about.)

I want to do a post on all three of them but I'm about to fall over from an over-exposure to quickstop coffee and country & western stations, so I'm going to limit myself to one, right now, and get the other two in over the next couple of days.


Brad Denton Joins Eat Our Brains

Bradley "Play My Riff" Denton's novel Buddy Holly Is Alive and Well on Ganymede won the John W. Campbell Memorial Award in 1992, and his two-volume story collection The Calvin Coolidge Home for Dead Comedians / A Conflagration Artist won the World Fantasy Award in 1995. More recently, in July 2005, his F&SF novella "Seargent Chip" won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award. His nominations are too numerous to mention.

I've known him for over twenty years (when we were, no doubt, seven or so) and there are some things that have changed over the years and some things that haven't. He didn't used to live in Texas. He didn't used to play drums, harmonica, and guitar. He didn't used to have five novels and numerous short stories published. But under the right circumstances, he still blushes like a fire engine.

We went shopping together Thursday morning before World Fantasy started. He bought a bitchin' leather jacket and I bought some mousse, "Thus," Brad explained, "Confirming the rumours."

I'm delighted he will be sharing his brains here every Thursday.

1 comment:

Rory Harper said...

It will be nice to have Bradley Denton here.

He's very nice.

But don't let him put you in the little room.